August 2, 2017
…I didn’t like reading?
What kind of life would I have lived instead?
Would I have been more of an extrovert?
Would I have been part of the bandwagoners people who watch a movie without even caring it is based on a book and then perhaps just buy the book because everyone else was doing it simply to not be left out?
Okay, stated a lot in the last sentence. Excuse me as I catch my breath.
This question popped in my head as I was reading a blog from one of my favorite Tumblr bloggers, back when Tumblr was actually cool and only a Tumblr thing and not splattered and shared all over FB.
Wow! I seriously thought I had gotten over that, but I miss the old Tumblr.
Partly because it got me through most of my college years. The ones where my friends dropped out paused attending and left me feeling like an oddball. But, that’s a different story.
Back to Tumblr – If I didn’t like to read, I would have never stumbled upon: Oh, Muffins, The Frenemy, & others. (I swear I’m not getting paid to advertise them; that would be cool though!) Bloggers that inspired me to start my own writing blogs. Blogs that I would start then stop because my content wasn’t good enough. Yeah, comparisons can really bring one down. That and I also didn’t have my voice yet. I didn’t know how or maybe was too afraid to tell it how it is, or at least how it is in my perspective. And that’s what writing is all about.
But again, this isn’t about writing. It’s about reading. And I’m just glad that I have a love for reading. And it isn’t the kind where I just say I have and don’t really possess it. It’s the kind where I get some kind of recharge by simply putting things aside (things I probably shouldn’t) and just read. Like reading that blog I stated I was reading not too long ago.
7 interesting blog articles in and that thought crossed my mind:
What if I didn’t like reading?
Like can you even begin to fathom how much different your life would be?
No lie, it was a scary thought.
And here’s what I concluded.
If I didn’t like reading:
– I wouldn’t have ever been able to rap/freestyle. I’m good with my rhymes, (not so much my time), thanks to Dr. Seuss.
– I wouldn’t have surpassed all my accelerated reader (AR) goals in Elementary and received rewards for it. Little did they know reading was the greatest reward of all.
– I probably wouldn’t have had a great time in Mr. Dunkin’s 11th grade English class. Which reminds me, I should cease overusing the word like, he would shake his head at the sound and sight of the over-usage.
– I wouldn’t have gone dumpster diving at the public library when they posted they were throwing away old books.
– I wouldn’t have been interested in such great blogs. How frightening! How else would I be spending my days other than reading such great content?
– I would have never purchased my e-reader. It may be outdated, but still.
– I would have never become part of bookstagram.
– I wouldn’t have wanted to become a booktuber. Not that I am one. But, I’ve given it a shot.
– And definitely, would have never aspired to become an author. Let’s just hope I do more than reading. Sometimes a girl needs a little push and a little cheering on to pursue the dream. But mainly, this girl needs to stop dreaming and start writing more.
There are so many other things I wouldn’t have been able to do if I didn’t love reading. Like having my bowl of cereal and reading everything on the box. Because nutrition facts are also good reads early in the morning.
I’m just glad I like love reading, because who knows what I would be doing instead? Maybe some yoga? Now, there’s nothing wrong with yoga, but I just got tangled at the thought. Or perhaps, I’d have been a more outdoorsy kind of gal. Awaiting a hunting trip or something that requires so much SPF for this sensitively skinned lady.
It’s just crazy how we are all wired differently and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. I’m just glad that somewhere along my wiring, it conducted a love for reading and writing.
It allows me the opportunity to read blogs and semi-abruptly interrupt the reading to write about a thought that crosses my mind, such as this.
Because it’s great content. Or what not. Plus, I felt the inspiration flow through my fingertips onto the tapping of they keys. And that’s good enough content for me to write about.
Okay, that’s enough. Let me get back to my reading.